Saturday, January 22, 2011

Banmanland Recipes: Caesar Salad


I have been *trying* to do salad as the main course at least 2 nights a week.

Little confession:  I am personally not much of a fan of eating anything green...
or leafy...
or in the vegetable family...

This presents a problem on more than one level.

A. My body needs these foods
B. My husband promotes health for a living and stands 100% behind what he promotes and a big part of health is eating the right foods and all of these items fall into the "right foods" category
C. I have 5, soon to be 6 children that I want to teach to have better habits than I have!

So for myself and my little family, I like to make salad for dinner FUN!

Here is one of our go-to Salads.


The key to salad at my house is to offer all the ingredients separately with a disclaimer that they all must be eaten by each member of the family.

Not sure why but my kids are happy to eat almost anything one at a time but they are not into eating it if it's all mixed up.  I don't understand it but I have learned to embrace it:)



Mmmm, green is good!


Separated salad contents...
(I do not put the food on the plates, they pile it on in whatever order they prefer)


 ...works for Caiters!




This is Mikayla's plate.  As they grow they begin to realize it tastes better when it's all mixed up.

Banmanland Caesar Salad

Romain Lettuce
Turkey Bacon (cooked and chopped)
Chicken (cooked and chopped)
Parmesan Cheese (grated)
Home Made Croutons (chop up some bread, throw olive oil, garlic powder, salt & onion powder on them and broil till they are browned)
Sunflower Seeds

Caesar Dressing (from the Body By God cookbook):
1/4c red wine vinegar
1 TB honey
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 TB olive oil
1 TB lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2-1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (optional, we like creamy caesar dressing but it tastes great without this)


 YUM YUM!



Uh oh, just noticed the only thing he didn't eat in this photo is the lettuce!  Rest assured, he won't be leaving the table till that's all gobbled up:)

Other favourites at our house:

- Chef's Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Taco Salad

Do you have a fantastic salad?  I want to hear about it!!

5 comments:

Jill Macknicki said...

mmm...my kiddos like things better when they're not mixed up too. Must be something to do with age. Also my kids will only eat raw veggies and will eat salad as long as it does NOT have dressing. I hope these healthy choices last forever. I wish I didn't like salad with dressing!

Jenny said...

we like taco salads.... ground turkey browned with spices, chopped lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped cilantro, black olives, grated cheese, and salsa for dressing. my kids also like theirs seperated...i get it. for the first 20 something years of my life I didn't like my foods touching or mixing.

Kim said...

I'd love to hear about the Chinese Chicken Salad

Allison Vasquez said...

Salad toppings we like:
craisins
sliced almonds (especially the butter toffee Accents ones)
flax seed chips from Trader Joes
cottage cheese

Holly said...

Looks yummy! Still trying to get my oldest on the bandwagon for eating salads! He's a tough one!

One of my favorite salads is cape cod salad (it's good even without the bacon or cheese) and I've also made it as an apple chicken salad with no lettuce to change it up. Delicious!

Cape Cod Chopped Salad (Ina Garten)

Ingredients

bacon
8 ounces baby arugula
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1/2 cup toasted walnut halves, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
6 ounces blue cheese

For the dressing:
3 tablespoons good apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup good olive oil