Monday, September 24, 2012

Maybe Not So Cultured...Yet


This weekend we drove JD to the airport in Bellingham, WA.

{JD is Mike's buddy from Ohio.  He came to visit for three weeks.}


While we were close, we took the opportunity to stay at our favourite hotel in Vancouver.
The River Rock!



Enjoying the sunset after a swim.
{okay honestly tho, they were freezing and totally not into it, I forced this picture!}




The next morning we took to the streets of Vancouver, headed for the Art Museum.
I was so excited to see the Matisse exhibit.




My family is a bit unconventional.


Ya they don't really play by the rules.



Love visiting the "big city"!





Apparently it was a bit loud for Bria!


We say "came-bee"
This street is "cam-bee".



So right off the bat, the kids notice a gigantic copy of Blue Nude.
Ya. 
I guess I didn't really think this one through.

Pretty much they were traumatized by their first sight at the museum.



Then there were the three C's.
{Caleb-Caity-Cambria}
"Quiet", "calm" and "don't touch" are not words in their vocabularies.

And we were at the art museum.
Mike spent most of the visit out front with the small fries.



But I loved the exhibit.
I was an art history minor in College and I still really enjoy it.
I can't quite put together a fancy enough sentence to express my thoughts here.
Simply?
I miss being able to look at, ponder, study and appreciate art.
I guess I thought taking the kids to see some of my favourite artist's work would inspire all of us.


The big girls did stand and ponder this one for a while.


Mikayla really liked this one.


Right about here is when a guy in a suit jacket with an earpiece came up and told me to stop taking pictures.

Awesome.
It wasn't the loud 3 year old or the boy-who-has-to-touch-everything that got us busted at the museum.
It was miss art history minor herself.
Culture fail.
For the most part anyways.
I felt a glimmer of interest from a few of the girls and I am hopeful that we still have a future in art appreciation:)


No comments: